Monday, April 23, 2007

Anyone who knows me well enough, knows that I love going to the symphony. It is just another quirk of mine, and is easily fulfilled by the the fanatabulous TSO. Our Toronto concertmaster, Peter Oundjian, is incredible. Such a distinguished older looking man. Combined with his adorable accent, he is part of the reason why I enjoy the works the TSO puts together. With the help of cheap tickets and a fun concert calendar full of fun (such as the magic music of disney, mozart, beethovan, lemony snicket, other canadian symphonies), it has become more than just a night out on town. It has become part of MY definition of who I am. For just $12 (about the same as going out to a movie), I can go with another friend and enjoy any kind of music. Over the past three years, I have had the pleasure of going with other friends who enjoy this culture, as well as introduce friends to it.

This past week, the Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec and Montreal symphonies did an exchange. They all went on tour together, and travelled to other cities to perform for different audiences. Thanks to all these concertmasters, I was able to get a taste of some other Canadian symphonies! Although they were all wonderful, I must admit that I fell in love with the Montreal symphony, and their concertmaster, Kent Nagano. What lustrious pantene pro-v hair the man has! And he interpreted the music so well. When he and the orchestra were playing Rossini's William Tell Overture, I found myself bopping along! And the symphony's version of Beethovan's Symphony No. 7, especially the 2nd movement, it sent shivers up my spine! This is just another reason why I should live in Montreal...beautiful music!

I plan on sampling the Australian symphony as well. Music will always stand the test of time!

No comments: