Saturday, April 28, 2007

I went to see the Japanese Design Today exhibit yesterday with Christian and Michelle. First of all, I haven't seen this pair since Michelle's birthday. Second of all, they have recently come back from a trip to HK and China, where Chris had the worst hospital experience in his life. Note to self, don't get sick when in foreign countries.

Although the exhibit itself was interesting and modern, I was hardly impressed with any of it. Why? Because they ran out of pamphlets explaining the recent trends and characteristics of Japanese design. It wouldn't have been so bad except that none of the exhibits had any place cards to explain any of the objects. All they had were numbers (for reference to a pamphlet.) I went back to the front desk to inquire what other options there were, but the customer representative got defensive and snarky. The result? I went to see an exhibit that probably was very good, but got none of that because they ran out of pamphlets. I wasn't trying to cause any problems, but the exhibit continues until the end of the weekend, and I'm pretty sure I won't be the only patron who would want an explanation for what they are seeing. The least they could do is give a disclaimer as people are purchasing their tickets.

Either way, at least I got to see my buddies. We had a great lunch at Richtree (Marche) and they went over the nitty gritty details of their asian experience. Michelle is also showing some new photography at the Eastern Gallery starting May 2nd, 2007. It is part of the CONTACT Toronto Photography Festival that is running from May 1 - 31, 2007.

No comments: