Sunday, July 12, 2020

Life of Pi

I had bought the novel written by Yann Martel when it was first published almost twenty years ago (2001) and was intrigued and excited to see how Ang Lee brought the story to life when it came out on film ten years later. However, I never got around to seeing it in theaters...which is ok because I FINALLY saw it last night on television!!!

Even though it's been some time since I read the novel (that has gone the route of 'who knows where' since moving a couple years ago), it was read pretty easily even though this it explored the issues of spirituality and metaphysics. The film brought back novel flashbacks of how Pi's name came to be, his life before, during and after his survival of the life-changing misadventure. I adore how Richard Parker's name came into being as well (I've actually google searched the name and there's quite the list for Richard Parker!!!) as it's so logical and practical.

It also showcased questions about the nature of reality, how it is perceived and told ESPECIALLY as isolation (something that doesn't seem very possible in this day and age unless it was arranged...but even then, it's a life choice to choose to be antisocial nowadays) was a main factor to Pi's life in the film. Although as I reflect about the concept of isolation now, I don't think this is imaginable for me. It's a fantastical idea now.

No comments: