Wednesday, February 05, 2020

The Good Place Series Finale - January 30, 2020

I watched the finale on THE date it played but it had really struck a chord with me. Enough to re-watch and make notes of my favourite quotes!

Including:
Janet - What do you think happens when people walk through the door? It's the only thing in the universe I don't know.

Eleanor - I don't know either. The wave returns to the ocean. What the ocean does with the water after that is anyone's guess. But, as a VERY wise not robot once told me (chidi), 'the true joy's in the mystery'.

Janet - I hate to see you walk through the final door at the edge of existence. But I LOVE to watch you leave! (Eleanor taught her)

Eleanor - You got a John Locke quote or piece of Kant-ian wisdom you can throw at me?
Chidi - Those guys were more focused on rules & regulations. For spiritual stuff, we have to turn to the east. Picture a wave. The ocean. And you can see it, measure it, it's height, the way the sunlight refracts when it passes through. And it's there. And you can see it. And you know what it is. It's a wave. And then it crashes on the shore. And it's gone. But the water is still there. The wave is just a little different way of the water to be. For a little while. But that's just one conception of death for a Buddhist. The wave returns to the ocean. Where it came from. Where it's supposed to be.
Eleanor - not bad, Buddhists.
Chidi - Not bad. None of this is bad.

So ever since I began my new job, my boss was so kind enough to help me assimilate and learn my new role by borrowing a book explaining the duties and background to the purpose of my job. I've been going to our building library to read it and go back to my studying days. As the content is interesting and helps explain what I've been doing, I've really appreciated this. However, many outside forces keep interrupting me and this has become annoying and disruptive which makes me so internally enraged.

To help with my simmering emotions, I've literally had to read these quotes to help calm me down again...and so the day has been managed, for now...

No comments: